Wednesday, April 12, 2017

My PCOS Infertility Resume

Anytime infertility comes up in conversation, it can often turn to questions of "what have you done, what have you tried, and what has worked?" As someone who spent hours upon hours googling "how to get pregnant with PCOS," I scoured blogs, medical journals, and websites devoted to fertility in hopes to discover my cure. And while of course it isn't that straight forward, I do think that more examples out there, the better. So here is my resume of exact treatments and medications that we went through from the first cycle until our miracle cycle.

Started out by getting treated at my OBGN.

Round #1 - January 2016
50mg Clomid and timed (scheduled) intercourse
Result: Took a blood test which confirmed that I did not ovulate. No pregnancy.

Round #2 - March 2016
100mg Clomid and timed intercourse
Result: Took a blood test which confirmed that I did not ovulate. I did go to the ER during this cycle due to intense ovary pressure. The ultrasound confirmed I had a few follicles maturing. So my body did respond to the Clomid somewhat, but not enough to ovulate. No pregnancy.

We then transferred to a Reproductive Endocrinologist (AKA a Fertility Clinic). Before beginning treatment

Round #3 - July 2016
Femara (forgot dosage, but it's an oral medication similar to Clomid) and Ovidrel (a trigger shot to induce ovulation). Intrauterine Insemination (IUI) and timed intercourse. Also needed estradiol to thicken my uterine lining. Took progesterone after the IUI until my pregnancy test.
Result: A follicle did develop to maturity, but no pregnancy.

Round #4 - August 2016
Femara (a doubled dose from last time), Follistim injections to assist in follicle maturation, and Ovidrel. Needed estradiol again, and also took progesterone per protocol. IUI and timed intercourse.
Result: At first, a bunch of follicles started to grow with no sign of one or two leading the pack, concerning my Dr that we would have to cancel the cycle. Had to start the Femara and Follistim regimen all over, which resulted in one mature follicle before we did Ovidrel. No pregnancy.

Round #5 - September-October 2016
Femara, Follistim injections, one Menopur injection (a fluke because I needed one more Follistim shot but both the clinic and I were out, and the only comparable injection they had was Menopur), and Ovidrel. IUI and timed intercourse. Followed progesterone protocol.
Result: Two mature follicles and a singleton pregnancy! This cycle was slow and steady, so it was a long cycle of slowly increasing my daily dose of Follistim. I was at the clinic for ultrasounds and blood draws every day to every other day for 3 weeks straight! But well worth it for our little miracle.

Please feel free to ask any questions! I am not a medical professional by any means but have done a decent amount of research on fertility and PCOS. Also please share your own success stories down below. My hope is that my experience can be one of many for women to reference when delving into the infertility world.

Love and Blessings,

Annmarie

1 comment:

  1. I first had symptoms when i was 17 and was told that i had PCOS (thin people type PCOS) and was officially diagnosed at 22 ans now i am 35. I have always had regular periods and unless on birth control pills were they irregular at times and I had a hard time getting pregnant because of the absent periods. I was always told by doctors that I would have a hard time conceiving so I would only go on the pill periodically which i did for more than 4 years, not for protection against getting pregnant, but just to get a period (since I was told it's not healthy to have less than 4 or so periods a year). Last time I went on a 3 month birth control pill and then stopped again because the medicine was not curing my pcos nor making me get pregnant. I went in search for a cure and ended up with so many drugs, medicine and even soaps that didn't work. I actually thought at a point that i was cursed that there is no cure for it, i was prepared to live like that till i read a testimony of a patient who suffered from pcos whose case was even worse than mine and how she was cured completely, I was amazed and at thesame time anxious and curious so i had to contact the doctor with the contact details that she left on the note. The doctor gave me so much hope and confidence with her kind words of encouragement to believe in myself and i was lifted because no one has ever given me hope like that before. I ordered the medicine, took it for 8 weeks and to my complete surprise, all the facial hairs, weight gain and all disappeared within 4 weeks and I ended up getting pregnant within a few weeks of completing the treatment! I was in shock. I think the main reasons it happened was that I never gave up and was ready to try alternative treatment so my body was back to normal. Before now i never enjoyed sex because it was very painful but now i do and my husband is the best thing that ever happened to me.. I hope this inspires some of you because I never in a million years would have thought that I would get pregnant and was getting frustrated and now our baby is due next month! You too can reach her on [aletedwin@gmail.com] for more information, advise and also how to place an order for yours.

    ReplyDelete