Sunday, March 9, 2014

Why We Do "Meatless Mondays"

As I read that title, I should probably change it to "Why I Do Meatless Mondays and My Husband Remains Silent" because if it were up to him, I'd make steak every night. But since he likes me to cook for him, he just participates in whatever food challenge I give myself. Plus I make some yummy dishes, even without meat, so he doesn't have much to complain about in that department ;).

So here are the reasons why I decided to participate in Meatless Mondays:

1. I like food challenges. 
Cooking is one of my favorite hobbies. I love being creative, trying new flavors and ideas, and using food to make people happy. And by participating in Meatless Mondays, it is making me branch out to try some new foods and techniques in my little kitchen.
Food Challenge: Cooking with Tofu
Baked Barbecue Panko Tofu
Brad said "I don't like tofu...but I like how you make tofu like this."
Recipe found here
2. I want us to be healthier. 
While I love cooking fatty, creamy and sugary meals, I do like trying to make a majority of our meals healthy. And for me, Meatless Mondays have made me cook some healthier meals. Now you can easily make an unhealthy meatless meal. But for me, I am conscientious about the meals I look for on Meatless Mondays because I want them to have protein, veggies and some whole grains. And meats do tend to have more calories than other proteins substitutes, such as tofu or quinoa.  
Also, eating less meat can limit your cancer risk, reduce heart disease, fight diabetes, curb obesity and lengthen life. (As reported on Meatless Monday's website.)
Quinoa patties are one of my favorite meatless recipes!
I've made these before Meatless Mondays.
The man actually requests these.
Recipe found here
3. I want to help the environment. 
I am not a crazy "hippie-go-free-free" environmentalist by any means. I still have to remind myself to turn off all the lights when I leave the apartment. I sometimes leave the water running when I shouldn't. But I am working on it. And by eating less meat, you can affect the environment greatly.

Just to name a few ways it helps the environment, eating less eat will lessen water usage. For example, 1,800 to 2,500 gallons of water go into a single pound of beef. Tofu requires 220 gallons per found. Also, 40 calories of fossil fuel energy go into every calorie of feed lot beef in the U.S., compared to 2.2 calories of fossil fuel energy to produce one calorie of plant based protein.
Zucchini pizza bites
A snack/lunch I made before Meatless Mondays
Just cut up zucchini, rub it with oil and salt, broil it for a few,
add sauce and cheese, and broil it for a few more. 
So while I'm not turning vegetarian anytime soon, I am enjoying getting my toes wet in vegetarian cooking. Hopefully I'll be posting more of my meals soon!

Love and Blessings,

Annmarie Faye

No comments:

Post a Comment