Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Christian vs. Christ-like

I've struggled with this for most of my life. I want to be a "good Christian." I look at other people that I consider "good Christians" as role models. 

Mrs. so-and-so gets up early to have quiet time with God every morning. 
That guy volunteers at a homeless shelter two evenings a week. 
She holds small groups at her house for the young women in church. 
He hasn't missed a Sunday service in years. 

Not that role models are a bad thing. I have learned a lot of ways to get to know God better through my brothers and sisters in Christ.
But when I am looking for a role model, I don't often look to Jesus, the only perfect person to walk the Earth. 

Why do I not look at the guy who loved everyone, even (or especially) his enemies?
Why do I not look at the guy who died so that one day I can fiesta with him and his dad up in heaven?
Why do I not look at the guy who ate with sinners, tax collectors, and lepers?  

I'm not sure. I don't know if it's because that seems unrealistic to me. Or maybe it's easier for me to feel like a good Christian by adding an extra bible study in instead of by by loving EVERYONE, including those who seem unlovable. 

But this is my declaration to try and live as a Christ-follower instead of a "good Christian". Maybe if we tried to do this, Christians wouldn't get such a bad (and most often rightly deserved) reputation. 

End rant. 

Love and Blessings,

Annmarie Jordan

No comments:

Post a Comment