Sunday, May 11, 2014

Shout Out to the Mother's In College

Last year on Mother's Day, I wrote a tribute to my mother entitled Things My Mother Has Taught Me. This year, I didn't want to be redundant and rave about Jan again (not that she doesn't deserve it, because I did rave about her on other social media and on FaceTime today). I want to instead write a shout out to all the mothers who are currently in college. 

College is hard yo. It is a struggle to balance "real life" with "school life". The seemingly endless studying, papers, online discussion boards, service learning hours (if you're a social worker), and interning are overwhelming. And I'm saying that as someone who is very blessed to be mainly focusing on school at this time. 

I cannot IMAGINE doing all of the above, and more, while also raising a child (or a few). I cannot fathom timing out my studying in between my little chubby cheeked baby's naps. Or finding daycare for the random class scheduling that college seems to entail. Or trying to do all of that, while also financially supporting your family.  

I especially admire those non-traditional students who are coming back to college as someone who many be out of their twenties by a few years. College is hard no matter what age you are, but coming back to a room of late-teen/early twenty-somethings must be scary. As well as having to take care of a family. You've got a ton on your plates, and I commend you and appreciate sharing the classroom with you. 

So here's to you, college mamas! I know you know this, but furthering your education will benefit your children and family in a plethora of ways. And I look up to you. 

Very glad that this is my only baby right now! Even she makes it hard to study sometimes
when she insists on being on my lap no matter what. ;)
Love and Blessings, 

Annmarie 


No comments:

Post a Comment