Friday, April 5, 2013

Fasting and Tortellini

Yes, fasting and tortellini were a part of my day today.

How you ask?

Well, I partook in an unplanned fast today. And to be honest, it started from pure laziness. I had woken up but did not have to be up for a few hours. So I laid in bed while browsing blogs and Facebook. My tummy started to grumble, but I was so comfy I decided to not listen to it yelps for food. 

After an hour or so of this, fasting randomly popped into my mind. I was raised Catholic, so fasting is a familiar concept for me. Voluntary fasting, however, is not. But you read about it all of the time in the bible. 

Matthew 4:1-2

New International Version (NIV)
"Then Jesus was led by the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted by the devil. After fasting forty days and forty nights, he was hungry."

2 Samuel 12:16

New International Version (NIV)
"David pleaded with God for the child. He fasted and spent the nights lying in sackcloth on the ground."

Ezra 8:21-23

New International Version (NIV)
"There, by the Ahava Canal, I proclaimed a fast, so that we might humble ourselves before our God and ask him for a safe journey for us and our children, with all our possessions."

These are just a few examples of fasting in the bible. It shows that we can fast to draw closer to God, to humble ourselves, to resist temptation, and to just intensify our prayer life. 

So what did I learn from my day of fasting?
1. It was not near as hard to do as I thought it would be.
2. Somehow, using my hunger pangs as a reminder to pray really helped me have much more God time today. 
3. The flesh is weak...I gave into my fast around 4:00 as I had a small snack and prepared dinner for my roomies.

Which brings me to the tortellini part of this post...


For my roomie meal. I made a tortellini dish wish tomato cream sauce and spinach! Omnom! It turned out amazing and was so easy! Here is the link to the recipe. I did not use sausage as I'm currently in college and on a budget, but that would have tasted amazing! I also put my crockpot on high for the last hour to really cook the spinach.

Overall, a day of hooking up with God and yummy tortellini just can't go wrong.

Love and blessings,

AnnmarieFaye




No comments:

Post a Comment