Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Meatless Monday - Eggplant Parmesan

For the New Year, I have the cliche goal is making my lifestyle more healthy. I also want to continue to improve my cooking. I want to branch out and learn to make meals that are outside of my comfort zone.

A way for me to accomplish both of these goals is to participate in "Meatless Mondays." Meatless Monday is a movement to abstain from meat one day a week (preferably Monday). According to meatlessmonday.com, there are many benefits to avoiding meat once a week. Some of these benefits include limiting your risk of cancer, diabetes, and reducing carbon footprint.

Now of course, avoiding meat and filling it was junk food will not get these benefits. Duh.

So this is a good way to try out some new foods, cooking styles, and possibly gain some health benefits.

For my first Meatless Monday, I attempted to make Eggplant Parmesan.

I would like to note that:
1) I've never even eaten had Eggplant Parmesan, so I had no idea what a "good eggplant parm" tastes like. 2) I've never even cooked with an eggplant before! They are a weird, huge and purple vegetable and I had not idea what I was doing. This was a push from my comfort zone for sure.
Fun Fact: The inside of an eggplant is a light green, almost white color! Who knew?

And after following this recipe by Michael Symon, plus some Dreamfield angel hair pasta, my first Meatless Monday was complete.
A little messy looking, but so delicious!
It was amazing! If you like Italian food, you will love this! I mean, how can you go wrong with mozzarella, basil, ricotta, parmesan, tomato sauce and bread crumbs? And the eggplant was really good too! It almost reminded me of a fried green tomato.
A close up of this gooey magical dish
This was a great way for me to try a new food because it was covered in other foods that I love! I would love to make this again-whether it's Monday or not! :)

Love and Blessings,

Annmarie Jordan

No comments:

Post a Comment