Saturday, June 15, 2013

Will I Be Pretty?

As someone who has struggled with self-love, this spoken word video really spoke to me. (Note: it does swear once, just letting my more conservative readers (or those with small children in the room) be aware.)


Wow. 

This inspires me to make more of an effort to love me for me. To love my body even when it's a few pounds heavier than I'd (or the BMI chart) would like. To love hair even when it frizzes out. To love my hands even if they are child sized and sport a blobby red birth mark. To love my face even when it is peppered with acne, scars and freckles. If not only for me, but for my future daughter(s), so that they will learn self love from their first example of a woman: their mother. 

When one of my cousin's used to get complimented a lot for her gorgeous good looks as a child, my aunt would come back with "You are smart and can do hard things." This has always stuck with me, and being "good-looking" (whatever that means anyways) should not be a top priority. It should not be the only compliment. You are more than the body holding together your thoughts, dreams, and talents. You are more than the hair that crowns a brain filled with ideas, hopes, and love. You are more than just pretty. 

As Katie said, "You will be pretty intelligent, pretty creative, pretty amazing, but you will never be merely pretty."

Love and Blessings,

Annmarie Faye

No comments:

Post a Comment